History

The Martha Road Story

The story of Martha Road Baptist Church started well over 100 years ago. The area we now call Oklahoma was still considered the Republic of Texas. Because of mapping errors, it was originally left out of the Oklahoma territory. However, the land was lush and rich with grass and pasture for cattle. For many years this area was a wintering place for cattle drives moving from south Texas to Kansas. Millions of cattle and thousands of cowboys crossed the Red River at Doan’s Crossing south of Altus and many remained in the area long after the cattle drives ended.

T.F Medlin traveled from Shreveport, LA in the 1880’s to begin an evangelistic ministry among the men and women who had settled along the route of the great cattle drives. It was among these people that a small country church was started. In 1889 with Rev T.F. Medlin as the founder and pastor, a small group of believers formed a church, which they called Fairview Baptist Church. Their meeting place was the local schoolhouse. There were twenty-four charter members and Judge Hullin was the first Sunday School Director.

In the early 1900’s the small community was officially named after Rev. Medlin's daughter, Martha. The church’s name was then changed to the First Baptist Church of Martha. In 1905, the congregation built a frame building in which to meet. This building was located on School Street in Martha. In 1925, with great sacrifice, the congregation came together to finance the building of a brick sanctuary on Main Street in Martha.

In 1986, the church body voted to start a fund for the construction of a new building. On the urging and vision of a church Deacon named Bennie Cooper a change of building site was agreed upon and the name of the church was changed to Martha Road Baptist Church. A day of dedication and celebration marked by praise and the first official worship service in the new building was held on Sunday, October 29, 2000.

In 2009 the church began a second worship service to accommodate the growing number of people worshiping at Martha Road. On September 10, 2010 construction on the Family Life Center building started and was completed and opened on April 2014.